Monday, November 29, 2010

P.S. You're Creeping Me Out

I realized I forgot a good weekend story (or two).
First, was the traditional uncomfortable time at a (boy) friend's wedding.
Sitting at a table during the post-ceremony brunch, Jake's aunt said, "Oh Rachel, we thought it was going to be you. Sylvia (her sister, and Jake's mom) told us he really loved you."
Um.
Yeah.
What do you say to that?
"Well, yes he did, but not that way?"
Or how about, "Yes, but he was concerned my ovaries were already withered?"
Or even, "Yes, but I'm not young and malleable?" (Which, is not a dig at the bride-- I'm just saying the fact that I'm set in my ways doesn't make me the best candidate for marriage to anyone).
So I just laughed and said something like, "Oh no. Jakey is a wonderful boy, and I love him, but we were better just as friends." Which is true. But still uncomfortable. Kind of like the time my second cousin's mom suggest I marry her son because she thought it was legal, and I wouldn't have to change my name. Anyway, this story is mostly worth mentioning because it tends to happen at most of the weddings I go to. Not a family member suggesting an somewhat incestuous relationship, but people telling me they wished/hoped/thought I'd be the one to marry their little man. I ask you, where are these parents when I really need them-- like when they could influence an offer? Again, this does not apply to the mother of my second cousin, once-removed.
And, on a totally unrelated note, guess what I heard through the grapevine yesterday? A girl, telling a guy, "Oh, it's such a curse to be pretty." And she was serious. It gives me new sympathy for Snow White's stepmom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home