Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Every Day's a Holiday with Rachel

Welcome, Welcome 2011. I think you and I are going to be good friends.
So far, so good. The year has included partying with my peeps at a New Year's Eve Dance (and, thanks to a guilt-trip from my friend Nelson, began kiss-free), a blow-out for my 3-year-old niece later that day, "Whip It" and "Strictly Ballroom," and a third party for my 80-year-old friend Lola. Three parties in 4 days is not bad my friends.
This year I'm going to try to incorporate some holiday magic all year long. Today, we're going to call things Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for orange-infused dark chocolate. I'm thankful for the memory of staying out til 3 a.m. with my friend Reuben during our freshman year of college and how proud I was to almost get home after my roommate (that Brittany claimed to have mono, but I think she was tired all of the time because she never came in until the rest of the world was waking up). I'm thankful for my pellet stove that heats my house, and for the lavender-scented eye mask (which, I know, I swore I'd never wear, but can you say awesome?) that allows me to sleep on my couch, warm and toasty but without the glare of the fire. I'm grateful that Santa Claus brought me a Crayola-brand light toy for Christmas so I can feel 5. I'm giddy about my free subscription to "Real Simple" magazine. I'm thankful that Pam and I are going to see "Wicked" at the end of the month and that when I cleaned out my piggy bank yesterday, I felt $48 richer.
Now let's fast-forward to St. Patrick's Day, and I'll tell you why I'm so lucky. I'm lucky to work in the family business, which is only a two-mile commute, and sometimes I can even sneak in a 15-minute break in the massage chair in my office. I'm really lucky to have my family so close-- most of us in-state, and within a 45-minute radius. Those who live further out are worth the car trip, and it's doable. I'm lucky to have a brother who wants me safe, and shows it by building a fence around my property and giving me (pink) pepper spray for Christmas. I'm lucky to have a sister who can not only do my hair and makeup, but also make me laugh with her little voices she does. I'm lucky to have a house and a car and clothes to wear and food to eat. I'm lucky to have traveled so much. You should hang out with me. My good luck will surely rub-off on you.
And for today's last holiday installment, why don't we get a jump-start on the holy season of Lent? Again, you're right when you say Mormons don't observe Lent, but I think it's a great idea to take some time to figure out what you can give up to get closer to God. That's better than a resolution, because you've got a higher purpose in perfecting yourself. One thing I'm giving up right now are the draining relationships in my life. The other day I woke up and said to myself, "Sego, you've been down this road before. Cease and desist!" So goodbye, weird boy who is always negative. You are officially on probation. Adios to you, Mr. I-Like-You-When-It's-Convenient. So long to all the men who creep me out. Buh-Bye to those girls who only call when they need something. Because I figure with all the time I save not worrying about why I'm unhappy with these people, I can go do some good where it counts.

1 Comments:

At January 8, 2011 at 9:08 PM , Blogger Lou said...

in my humble opinion, strictly ballroom is amazing. go ahead and tell pam, but i find it better than dirty dancing. also. i do love whip it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home