Friday, April 6, 2007

Ahh...

Today is my favorite day of the year in Los Lunas. Each Good Friday, folks from far and wide make a pilgrimage to Tome Hill-- a nice little spot about a mile from me. It's a big mound in a rather flat valley, with three crosses on the top. Thousands of people walk from their homes from all over the county to pray at the crosses. It reminds me of the pilgrims Sokphal and I saw coming into Santiago de Compustela, but on a much bigger scale. A little bit more like the people crawling to Czestochowa to pray. It's actually a very heart-warming sight.
The other day, the little fellow who installed my phone shared some funny trivia. He said New Mexico has the second-highest crime rate in the nation (thank you, Nevada!) and that Valencia County (my home, sweet home) is the most dangerous in the state. OK, yes, it's a little rough in some places, but I think there are a lot worse places a person could be... I've been to a few, in fact. But here's the thing. Even in my dangerous, slightly trashy home town, people here really are pretty special. And while I generally don't use my blog to pontificate on religious topics, I feel pretty awesome seeing so many people committed to something bigger than all of us. All our beliefs are not exactly the same, but this is truly one of the most special times of the year, and my own faith is promoted by seeing the believers out in droves. It warms my heart. If I didn't have mounds of work, I'd join them on this walk. As it is, I have my own rituals planned for this weekend to acknowlege this holiest of times. But in the meantime, I'll steal time in my parents' backyard, amid the fucshia and lime and coral blossoms on our trees, to see the literal line of people on a hill, praying for a better world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home