Friday, April 13, 2007

Savannah, Part IV

I'm sorry to say the trip has taken a turn for the worse. Don't worry, it's still not bad. In fact, this has been a WONDERFUL vacation. But it's taken a funny, insulting twist. So, here's the story. Last night my cousin had some people over for dinner-- a girl he's been seeing a bit, his sidekick, and a couple other dudes. Dinner went pretty well, except one of the other guys kept quizzing me on every possible out-there question on Mormonism he could think of. Cousin, girlie, and sidekick were bored and left the room, so I was left having to talk shop with these really nice gay men who wanted to know if I thought they were living a life of sin. Anyway, still not bad. After our little dinner, we took off to the bar at the American Legion. Now, I'm not typically one for the bar scene, but I went for another Shirley Temple and tried to be agreeable. All this southern food hasn't really agreed with me, though, and I didn't feel too hot, so my cousin's slightly drunk friend walked me home. He wasn't showing any signs of slowing down with the booze and he mentioned that he'd probably be staying on my cousin's couch rather than driving home (good). So I put a blanket and a pillow on the couch and said goodnight. Anyway, I heard my cousin come in not too long afterwards and watched him say goodbye to her in the street. Fell asleep, and all was well. That is, until about 3:45 this morning when I heard downstair's neighbor's dog barking madly. Sidekick boy was loudly stumbling in, asking Mr. Downstairs if he could crash here because he was "so wasted." Mr. D said yes, but then sidekick started saying loudly, "But I can't stay upstairs. Jordan's cousin is up there, and I can't sleep with her because..." But then Mr. D shushed him, so I didn't hear all the reasons sidekick couldn't "sleep with" me. How rude! First of all, there would be no sleeping with to begin with. Secondly, I take a lot of offense to him thinking I wanted him to sleep with me... but so many men just assume that of all women, I guess. Anyway, I AM interested in hearing all the reasons though. It could be that he thought I was in love with him, and he remembered he has a girlfriend. Or because my cousin is his best friend. Or because he couldn't stand the temptation (not likely). Anyway, it's never very nice to overhear these things, especially in the middle of the night. But I at least see the humor in it now.The other thing, though, is that my cousin and I just went downtown with his neighbor and her 4-year-old, unruly son. So while we're on our way, the little brat starts talking about my "moustache." Excuse me! I don't have one, thank you very much. I wanted to throw the little urchin in the Savannah River, but I figured that would be bad form.Anyway, it's not all bad. I'm happy to to be here, and I've loved hanging out with J. He's a great dude, and honestly one of my favorite people. We've uped the number of our inside jokes, and that's always good. So I'll just chalk those little incidental insults up to stupidity-- like when the dumb kid told me that my personality "almost made up for me being physically unnattractive." Yeah. Stupidity in men is far from limited to the South. And in fact, most of the fellas I've met here have been absolute gentlemen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home