Monday, July 12, 2010

Happy Anniversary!!

Well, my friends, I've been back in New Mexico for FOUR years, and I've gotta say, I'm pretty happy about that. My life is pretty awesome. Here are some things that make life in NM really great (and please, don't get argumentative and say some of those things are universal-- even if they are, they're better in NM):

* I go barefoot at work. Where else could I do this? That is a major advantage to having one's office in her childhood bedroom.
* I can embrace my inner gangsta and rap all the time. Much to Rudy's surprise, I confessed yesterday that I have a certain weakness for Salt-n-Peppa's "Shoop." Watch for me at your next karaoke event.
* Being near the family is basically awesome. On Friday, I hung out with my sister and brother-in-law at their palatial estate (otherwise known as a tract home, given the old Sego charm by my very creative sister) in Rio Rancho. We ate clown cones from Baskin Robbins. (I don't really care about ice cream, but I love clown cones more than anything. And here's a hint-- they're better from the B&R at Cottonwood than they are in Los Lunas.) On Sunday I spent some good quality time with my brother and sister-in-law and their charming children. Paizlee is learning to walk, and even though Zoey is super naughty, I can't imagine my life without her.

There's more, of course, but Gerri has been complaining that I don't blog enough, so I'm gonna spread it out.

I will share one other true anniversary story, though, for your reading pleasure. When I thought about this the other day, I laughed out loud for about five minutes straight. As most of you know, I've only ever had ONE official boyfriend. We had gone out a lot and had been kissing just as much, and decided to make our relationship official on July 11, two years ago. As we discussed the implications of exclusivity, he announced that I was obligated to come over and have dinner with his family the next day. I'd already met them, but he told me he needed to introduce me in my official capacity. He said he'd tell them over breakfast the next day that I was his girlfriend, and suggested I do the same with my family. I was 100 percent embarrassed, but I charged on through, determined to get the teasing over with. When I met up with him at his parents' house later, he said he'd not had time to tell them yet. I walked in, said hello to his mother, met his sister, brother-in-law, niece and nephew, and then he blurted out "RACHEL SEGO IS MY GIRLFRIEND!!" I then was passed around again to be hugged and congratulated. You'd think this sweet little episode would be worth celebrating on its own, but my favorite July 12 memory of that day was when my boyfriend's dad was blessing the food and asked a blessing on everyone, but he couldn't remember my name! It went "... and please bless Elliot and Maggie and Margaret Ann and Ron and Wendy and Holly and Chrissy and Becky and Loni and Ray and... (Super long pause)... Ray's, erm, friend... Amen!" Well, of course I didn't mind, but everyone gave boyfriend's papa a very hard time. He tried to make it up to me by being extra kind for the rest of the evening, until I left when boyfriend had to dismiss him. We were walking out toward my car when boyfriend said, "Dad. I want to kiss my girlfriend goodbye, and I can't do it with you standing here." Hahaha! I doubt very much he remembers his July 12, but I'm pretty sure he remembers my name!

One final shout-out-- though he was born last night and not actually on the 12th, I do want to let everyone know that my college bestie and his wife, Sean and Rachel McKissick, welcomed their baby boy into the world! The text I got from Sean? "Dean Gerald McKissick is out, and he's a big, hairy baby. Everybody's doing great." Leave it to someone who loves WWE to announce his son's birth that way. Still, congrats to Sean and Rachel, who continue to make my life wonderful even from hundreds of miles away!

1 Comments:

At July 12, 2010 at 12:23 PM , Blogger Kari said...

On yo' mark get set go, lemme go, lemme shoop to the next man...

One wild and crazy night in Provo I did end up signing karaoke to this very song at a party I knew no one. Pretty sure that was a first... and a last!

Anyways, yay for Sean! I HAD NO IDEA they were even having a baby! They don't blog (do they?) and I'm pretty sure he's not on FB, right? I think I dig up an email address, but good thing I have you to spread the word! Thanks! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home